The Institute of Hydraulics (IH) Foundation, created specifically for management of the IHCantabria Institute and the “Cantabria Coastal and Ocean Basin” (CCOB) Great Engineering Tank is also an instrument in the management of UC projects and agreements.
The UC Foundation for Study and Research in theFinancial sector (UCEIF), created between the University of Cantabria and the Santander Group, develops programmes and projects, training and other actions in the sectors of finance, companies and economy.
With the aim of providing research groups and companies with costly and specialized infrastructures, the Scientific-Technical Research Services (SCTI) has been created. Its services range from super-computation (the Altamira Node in the Super-computation Spanish Network) to transmission electron microscopy.
Two of these infrastructures are considered “Singular Scientific-Technical Infrastructures” (ICTS) by the Education Dept., the Altamira Node in the Super-computation Spanish Network (RES) and the Cantabria Coastal and Ocean Basin (CCOB).
The main performers in research are the 1,000 researchers we have who cover all the great areas of knowledge: Engineering, Health Sciences, Science, Humanities and Social Sciences. These researchers are integrated in Research Institutes and R+D+i Groups.
At this moment, the University of Cantabria has four research institutes which are the centre of attention for attracting national as well as foreign researchers:
- Physics Institute of Cantabria (IFCA), Mixed UC-CSIC Centre.
- International Institute for Prehistoric Research (IIIP). Mixed UC-Regional Government-Santander Bank.
- Institute of Environmental Hydraulics, IH Cantabria. Mixed UC-IH Foundation.
- Institute of Biomedicine and Biotechnology (IBBTEC), Mixed: UC-CSIS-Regional Government.
- Likewise, there is a Unit which is associated to CSIS-(ICMA) in the area of functional materials in extreme conditions.