The University of Cantabria has begun an ambitious project to reorganize the Campuses in Santander and Torrelavega, in close coordination with their respective Town Councils. Likewise, it has designed and implemented various projects for the development of a social model based on the quality of labour relations and reconciliation of family and working life.
University of Cantabria
- Campus of Las Llamas
- Magdalena Peninsula
- The UIMP has planned its Campus of Las Llamas through a public tender offer for ideas.
- The University of Cantabria has a Town Planning project whic
h will transform the features of Las Llamas Campus and will correct defects in relation to sport, recreation and residential areas. Both plans are coordinated with one another and with Santander’s Townhall, which has granted 50,000 m2 to the UC for new pedagogical and research equipment.
- The University of Cantabria, together with Santander’s Townhalll is developing the programme “Ecocampus Las Llamas 21”, aimed at implementing Agenda 21.
- Ten of its 14 centres have been adapted for people with reduced mobility.
- It is developing a Sustainable Mobility Plan.
- It has a photovoltaic solar plnat installed in one of its centres.
- It has a Plan for Equality between Women andMen.
- It promotes reconciliation of family and working life through the “Concilia Plan”, the Healthy Active Life Programme, a Nursery School and a Children’s Campus.
- It received the Alares Award for the reconciliation of family and working life.
- It forms part of the Geniuniovi Network, on gender and equality.
- It promotes policies on Health and Risk Prevention.
- It has a Bioethics Committee
Aspects of special relevance
- In the last few years, close collaboration between the University of Cantabria and Santander’s Townhall has allowed them to design a project to reorganize the campus perfectly inkeeping with the objectives outlined in the official public announcement International Campus of Excellence. The expansion of areas to improve the quality of campus life, its connection with Las Llamas Park and the follow-up of commitments in Agenda 21 constitute some of the examples that demonstrate the good understanding between the two institutions.
- The partnership between the University of Cantabria and the UIMP has not only resulted in the synergetic integration of teaching resources. The proximity of their respective campuses in Las Llamas allows both universities to have installations for their own purposes, thus multiplying the offer for accommodation and sports facilities.
- The University of Cantabria is determined to adapt its installations to the demands of a university of international excellence by undertaking the most important planning project in its history. The construction of “La Casa del Estudiante”, five buildings, two underground car-parks and nine access areas will radically transform its appearance. In the Campus in Torrelavega, it has also undertaken actions to equip research,, teaching and residential buildings.
- In the last few years, the University has developed a set of guidelines focused on increasing the university community’s life and workplace quality. Accessibility for people with reduced mobility, reconciliation of family and working life, promotion of equality between men and women, and encouraging healthy habits are some of the aspcets of the programmes available to university community.
To transform the campus into an area of high architectural and environmental value, adapted to academic needs and functionally integrated in its surroundings and to meet the commitments deriving from principles of social responsibility.
Campus de las Llamas
Campus of Torrelavega
Lines, actions, objectives and expected results